SLIDER

My Tips for Being a Prolific Pinner

14 January 2014


My name is Svea Carney, and I am a Pinterest addict. I love the thing. It's my favourite social site. As I mentioned in our 5 minutes with interview, I'm a visual person, I love to hoard beautiful images to call on them later for inspiration. I've been using Pinterest for around three years now and I never get bored of it. Today I'm sharing my tips & tricks for getting the most out of your Pinterest account.

1// Try to get a decent description together when you pin. 
I know how it is, you're browsing and you just want to pin it and move on. But if you really want to use your Pinterest account to it's best advantage, then I'd recommend writing a decent description of your pin as you pin it. This not only helps yourself to find things at a later date, but also helps other pinners to see what you're about and to categorise the image. There's also nothing wrong with throwing in a good hashtag at this point for good measure #justsayin' #badjoke #sorrynotsorry

2// Organise your boards properly.
When people land on your profile, they want to know what you're about straight up. This means you taking the time to drag your boards around so that your most important/relevant boards are right up front, loud and proud. I rearrange my boards every so often depending on what I'm feeling at the time, it makes me feel as though at least one aspect of my life is organised. 
Also, name your boards something helpful. For your own sanity, and for everyone else's.

3// Pin good quality images.
This one can't always be helped, but when you're  surfing and you spot something pin worthy, try to grab the good quality version if you can. The 'Pin It' button drags up every image from the page you're on when you hit it, so if multiple versions of the image you want appear, make sure you hit the biggest one you can find. There's nothing more disappointing than finding a great image only to click through and to find it links back to the tiniest thing ever that's no good to anyone.

4// Give credit where credit is due.
Pinning someone's work? Say so in the description. It's just good karma people. Pinners like to know where beautiful work/food/clothes come from. And designers/cooks/stores like to know that people know that that's their stuff. It's a pain to have to trace a pin right back through the internet to find the original source. So to tie in with tip number one, state on the pin (if you can) who something belongs to. 

5// Follow Follow Follow,
You have to follow a set number of pinners when you set up your account so that you can get your feed up and running, but on top of that make sure you keep following new people, your feed will get richer and more interesting for it, and odds are they'll follow you back. Everyone's a winner. 

6// Be vocal.
There is an option to comment on a pin either as you pin it, or just as you're browsing your feed. If you decide to speak up, it means that your comment will show up when that pin gets re-pinned, so your profile will be pinged all around Pinterest with that pin, therefore increasing your visibility across the site. 

I hope these have been helpful! Let us know your username in the comments section and we'll give you a follow!

Svea xo