SLIDER

5 Minutes with Svea & James

12 January 2014

This year we thought we'd introduce a new feature called 5 Minutes With. It's basically a series of quick fire style questions that we'll ask to some of our favourite creatives. It's a chance for us to introduce you guys to people we know & love and also to (hopefully) showcase some really great creative on here. Sound good? 

We didn't think it would be fair to put someone else through this if we hadn't first done it ourselves. This month we decided to put ourselves under the microscope because we realised, we haven't actually given that much away about ourselves and the work we do on this blog. So without further ado, let's begin...


First, tell us a bit about yourself
S: I'm a 24 year old Graphic Designer from Liverpool. I graduated from LJMU in 2011 with a BA in Graphic Design. At the moment I'm working for a large online retailer full time as a designer, as well as running this blog on the side. 
J: I'm 27 years old and have been part of the creative industry since I graduated from Uni in 2007. I'm one half of Lovers TIF and I also run a podcast called the CinemaGoers (quick plug!) we talk about all things film. I'm a big fan of social media and web design, even the not so glamorous stuff like analytics. I enjoy studying seeing how people interact with something you've designed.

What made you want to do what you do?
S: I was quite focused on wanting to do a creative job from when I was very young. I'm not sure where it came from though, I'm the only member of my family that's in a creative field. I think I just gravitated towards something that I found I could do naturally. Also, there's such an amazing sense of fun and community amongst creatives - I wanted in on that!
J: I remember sitting in Uni when Facebook had just come to the UK and was absolutely fascinated by the connections and interactions that people made with it. I was skeptical at first, I think we all were, but I was hooked about being able to design journeys and interactions that people really enjoyed. That was when I had that moment where I knew that this is what I wanted to do.

What inspires you the most?
S: I'm inspired a lot by beautiful imagery. When Pinterest came along I felt like I'd found heaven! I'm addicted to the thing, I've got something stupid like 18,000 images that I've liked. Utterly ridiculous. Other than that I often find that I get inspired by what I read too, I'm a big reader.
J: I get inspiration from the little things in design. I do believe that there is something great about keeping it simple. From seeing a simple logo that uses the negative space to create something entirely different is genius. Once you see it it's like being in a secret club that the designer wanted you to be apart of, just seeing things like that inspires me to make things simple but wonderful. 

If you could work in a different creative field, what would it be and why?
S: I'd like to be a better photographer, I read so many blogs that have absolutely gorgeous images on them and I do get a little jealous. I've thought a few times that I might go back to school and study photography. Maybe in future. Other than that I wish I was musically gifted, but doesn't everybody?
J: I'm a huge movie nut, so I would have always wanted to work for the film industry. I would have loved to work for a SFX production team, using all the latest tech to develop big blockbuster effects would be brilliant. Imagine working on the effects for the latest Marvel or DC film makes me giddy. To be honest, just being on a movie set would make me giddy too.

What are your plans for your work in 2014?
S: I want to make more of a conscious effort to try new things and experiment with techniques. I feel as though I've lost some of that experimentation since I graduated so I'd like to get that back.
J: I would love to have my work put out there more, I'm not one for limelight or recognition. I never really shout out about what I do, maybe I'm just a little insecure about my work but I think most creative people are until it gets some recognition. So I'm trying to overcome that and shout a little louder about it.

What do you enjoy most about your field?
S: I like solving problems. I should probably mention that I'm also a bit of a maths geek, so when I get a layout that means I have a ton of elements that need to fit together, then I'm right n my comfort zone. Sometimes it's a pain, and it can be stressful and irritating, but in the end the feeling on solving the puzzle can't be beaten.
J: I think the freedom it offers is what I enjoy most. When you get a brief it is a bit like an open book, you know how the journey will start but you never know the end result. Having freedom like that in a job is a rare thing, I've done a fair few odd jobs that have structures, processes that can make my head hurt but this field let's the shackles off. And, the freedom for different interpretations, the whole mixture of views that can get thrown around when working on a group project is an amazing thing.  

I hope you feel like you know us better now, keep your eyes out for our next 5 minutes with!


Svea xo