SLIDER

5 Tips for New (or Old!) Graduates

12 June 2013



'Tis the season of graduation, once again thousands of new designers will be on the loose and looking for work. I've been thinking a lot recently about the choices I made when I graduated and whether I'd have done anything differently if I had my time over.

With that in mind, today I'll be sharing my five tips for new graduates.







1// Pull your portfolio together

Well, this one is for before you graduate. Spend some time getting a really neat portfolio together. I'd consider having two to hand. One that is super duper creative and that can be shown around agencies, and a second more corporate one. I say this because when I interviewed for my current job, I had what I thought was an unmistakably 'kooky' portfolio with me, (I'm talking recycled card board and ribbon fastenings here). In my mind, this identified me as a 'proper designer' "look how quirky I am!". But guess what? When you apply for a corporate job (design related or not) you should probably turn up with a fairly reserved portfolio and let your work and sparkling personality do the rest. 

Anyway, what I'm saying is, Really spend time getting your portfolio up to scratch. It always pays to turn up with something that is beautifully presented and that shows your work off at its' best.

2// Consider an Internship (but don't sell yourself short)

I'm a fan of the internship personally. I am not a fan of working for nothing however. There is an argument that as long as you feel as though you're getting something for your work out of the experience that you don't necessarily need to be paid - but still. weigh up your options and make sure that you make the decision that's right for you, paid or not. 
For me, the right kind of internship can really be beneficial. If anything, it keeps you busy and gets you out of that (dare I say it, slightly lazy?) uni groove. 

3// Apply Apply Apply

Send those portfolios and CVs out like they're going out of fashion! Oh, and please tailor your covering letter/portfolio to suit the place that you're applying to. It makes the difference. 
I'd consider asking if you can drop in for a visit too. Even if you only come out of the experience with a belly full of tea and biscuits and a business card, it's definitely worth getting your face around. You never know if that brief connection could spark something else down the line. (True story: A friend of mine has just been contacted by an agency that he dropped in on for a chat two years ago).

4// Don't drop uni like a stone

I am guilty of falling slightly foul of this one. I've let my connections slide where I really should have been nurturing them. Learn from my mistakes. Keep in contact, go to degree shows, get involved. It's another way to maintain your connection to the local scene. You never know what you might be asked to get involved in. 

5// Don't lose heart and consider DIY-ing it

I know how it feels. You finish uni, full of hope for the amazing design career that lays ahead of you, and then suddenly, the reality of the job market hits you and you realise that maybe you won't be walking straight into an agency job.
But don't lose heart, keep reaching for what you want and you'll get there. Accumulate as much experience as you can and make yourself employable. Show willing to learn and to take risks.

But, if this doesn't work out (or even if it does work out actually), then consider taking the leap and doing it yourself. I wish I'd taken this advice sooner. Just go for it and do what you want to do. Crowd sourcing and collaborations are just around the corner and readily available. Do what makes you happy and maybe someone else will catch your enthusiasm then et voila! Your dream made real!


And like magic I appear to have written a 'what would you tell your younger self' post, but hey c'est la vie. I hope these tips have been useful!

See you round!

Svea xo